Kenton & Hardin County Chamber of Commerce History

Local business owners started the Kenton Area Chamber of Commerce in the early 1900’s. Existing records indicate the organizational meeting of Directors was held on June 23, 1920.
 
While not much history of the Chamber through the years is available, we know the influential leadership of many prominent Kenton businessmen, which are included in the list below, guided the organization.  The Chamber was incorporated on March 20, 1964.
 
The 1990’s brought an era of change to the Chamber. They were considered proactive business advocates rather than retail promotion coordinators.  The first major change began on February 5, 1991, as the articles of incorporation were amended to change the name from the Kenton Area Chamber of Commerce to the Hardin County Chamber of Commerce.  The expansion in the name and coverage was intended to better reflect the organizations regional influence.  The Chamber’s economic development and tourism efforts were focused on the entire county.  Reflecting the increased activity in those areas, the Economic Development Council and the Tourist and Convention Bureau were formed under the umbrella of the Chamber and later incorporated as individual entities.
 
The Hardin County Chamber of Commerce continued to provide support, service and information for business, industry and the community.  For nearly 100 years, the Chamber has made a substantial impact on the community in the areas of business, economic development and quality of life.
 
On September 1, 2006 the Chamber merged with the Hardin County Economic Development Council, the Hardin County Tourism Convention Bureau, and the Kenton Square Repair to form the Hardin County Chamber & Business Alliance.
 
Previous Office Locations
in Kenton, Ohio:
1914 – 3rd Floor of AAA Office
1916 – Schultz Store
1922 – St. Nicholas Hotel
1928 – Weaver Hotel
1953 – AAA Office
1972 – 8 North Main Street
1996 – 100 W. Franklin Street
2001 – 809 Fontaine Street
2001 – 225 S. Detroit Street (Present Location)
 
Previous Board Chairs:
1914 & 15 -William Kraus
1916 - Eldon Smith 

1917 - Eldon Smith 

1918 & 19 - James H. Allen Sr.
1920 & 21 - James V. Conner
1922 & 23 - C.E. Nash 
1924 & 25 - James H. Allen Sr.

1927 & 28 - Herman Neu
1929 & 30 - Neil Ahlefeld
1931 & 32 - L.S. Bixler 
1933 & 34 - John Ryan
1935 & 36 - Carl Broseke 

1937 - Ellis McFarland 
1943 & 44 - Ralph Yauger 

1945 & 46 - Howard Bailey
1947 & 48 - Walter Gust 
1949 - 53 - Walker Dickinson
1954 - Don Temple
1955 - Don Temple/Ted Auger 

1956 & 57- John Gramlich 

1958 & 59 - Bob Moser 

1960 & 61- Leo Bernard 
1962 - Neil Bradley 

1963 - Harry Case
 
MARCH 20, 1964 DATE OF INC.
1964 - William Watson
1965 - Stuart Rogers
1966 - Bud Winzenried
1967 & 68 - William Furbush 


1969 - James H. Jackson
1970 - Tony Mihely

1971 - Gene Dillion
1972 - Carl Kirkland 

1973 - Lorain Basinger
1974 - Holmes Stine
1975 - Gary Richards 

1976 - Tom Jennings/E.R. Koch

1977 - Muriel Hogue

1978 - Gary Richards 
1979 - Muriel Hogue
1980 & 81 - Jerry Rush
1982 - Jeff Barnes 
1983 - Keith Gensheimer 

1984 - Gordon Gatien 

1985 - Randy Rogers 

1986 - Robert Temple
1987 - Robert Brown 

1988 - Dale Leas 

1989 - Bill McClain
1990 - Tom Carrig 

1991 - Chuck Dixon 

1992 - Bob Szuch 

1993 - Sue Harrison 

1994 - Don Sabol 

1995 - Anne Boston 
1996 - Mariann Royer 

1997 - Dick Conklin 
1998 - LouAnn Harrold 

1999 - Jalene Kin 

2000 - Bob Gossard
2001 - Rose Zuchetto 

2002 - Ruth Haushalter 

2003 - Mandy France 
2004 - Matt Jennings 

2005 - Joyce Rostorfer 

2006 - Bev Bahr

ALLIANCE BOARD CHAIRS
(AFTER MERGER)
2007 – Ron Zimmerly
2008 – Matt Jennings
2009 – Matt Jennings
2010 – Mark Terrill
2011 – Paul Craun
2012 – Patricia Arnett
2013 – Chip Root
2014 – Tim Street (Board Chairman 2 Year Terms)
2015 – Tim Street
2016 – Brian Sprang